Thursday, June 18, 2009

what have i done with my life

since i was 12, i have babysat every summer of my life. i am now 20, and i haven't found a proper job yet.

mostly because i like the under-the-table money. no taxes. sweet.

anyways, i babysit this 8 year old math prodigy. i imagine one day i will be able to say that i babysat for the next steven hawking. or carl sagan. or einstein.

or mr. heim.

(high school math teacher/ex-CIA agent (we think.))

so anyways, this kid could talk shop (calculus) all day long. he just name drops limits, integrals, and odd/even functions as if everyone talked that way.

yesterday, in the car on the way to go bowling

digression: he wanted to go bowling on the first day of sun we've had in 2 weeks. WHY.

so we're driving, and he says he has a question for me. i say, shoot.

"what is the limit from zero to positive infinity of f(x)= 4x ^ (2/3)?"

he was quizzing me.

on calculus.

expecting me to do mental math.

while driving.

OF CALCULUS!??!

he knew the answer.

thus concludes the tale of why i have clearly gotten nothing out of my 17+ years of education. An 8 year old can know calculus, memorize 45 digits of pi, know the atomic weights of most of the elements, know how to convert from celcius to farenheight to kelvin, know the stats of all the red sox players AND beat me in bowling.

epic fail. dylan FTW.

hah.

No comments: